deixis in English
This study of the role of deixis and information packaging in discourse is based on an analysis of several corpora of Russian spoken and written texts.
Use "deixis" in a sentence
1. Rauh sees deixis as functioning between the poles of extralinguistic deixis and non-egocentric deixis.
2. 10 Egocentricity is a basic feature of deixis,(www.Sentencedict.com) but deictic projection exists in practical usage of deixis.
3. Deixis is an important content of pragmatics.
4. Deixis is a universal phenomenon in human languages.
5. Modest and honorific is a typical social deixis, which includes modest title , honorific title.
6. I must repeat, then, that deixis is distinguished by its use.
7. English person deixis consists of the system of English personal pronouns.
8. The pragmatic translation of deixis rests on understanding the deictic information in SL.
9. The power of social deixis is based on different principles of conventionality in various cultures.
10. Traditional accounts of deixis cannot provide a convincing explanation for this phenomenon of deictic projection.
11. The meaning of deixis depends, to a large degree, on the author's innermost status.
12. 9 Egocentricity is a basic feature of deixis. It is very important in getting deictic information.
13. Without deixis , it is almost impossible to understand the meaning of any stretch of language.
14. 20 This paper attempts to explain the use of past tense in the subjunctive clause from the perspective of temporal deixis .
15. As an important element of pragmatics, deixis plays the role of relating utterance with its context.
16. Based on the theories of Deixis and Cohesion, this dissertation reclassifies Chinese demonstrative pronouns this and that.
17. A central question that remains, though, is whether the study of deixis belongs to semantics or to pragmatics.
18. Deixis is a popular and universal language phenomenon, which reflects the relationship between language and context in the language system.
19. This paper attempts to explain the use of past tense in the subjunctive clause from the perspective of temporal deixis .
20. Demonstratives and the definite article are terms whose mobilisation and use would be strongly linked to this kind of deixis.
21. Place deixis concerns the encoding of spatial locations relative to the location of the participants in the speech event.
22. In this thesis, the analysis of tense as time deixis helps to reveal the context-dependent information under the mess surface.
23. My main aims are to demonstrate a possible methodology for such analysis, and to present a coherent theory of deixis.
24. Thus we can see that the discourse of lyric poetry is by no means unusual in its mobilisation of deixis.
25. It is the interrelationship of these points that enables the analysis of deixis in the genre of the lyric poem to proceed.
26. It has also illustrated the concrete usage of the deixis, especially the gestural usage, symbolic usage, anaphoric usage and non-anaphoric usage.
27. This leaves the possibility open of finding new insights into deixis perse as well as into its behaviour within a particular discourse.
28. 12 Thus we can see that the discourse of lyric poetry is by no means unusual in its mobilisation of deixis.
29. 4 Demonstratives and the definite article are terms whose mobilisation and use would be strongly linked to this kind of deixis.
30. The four types of deixis are used to identify something in the immediate physical context or within the discourse or text.
31. Being interrelated with the specific time, place, task and so on, English person deixis expresses the relationship among persons or things.
32. My account of deixis is such that the methodology could be applied to other kinds of discourse, both literary and non-literary.
33. In the opening sections, an attempt to define deixis is made and a methodology for analysis for texts in general is proposed.
34. The remarks in this section only sketch out a province for which a proper theory of discourse deixis might provide an account.
35. 14 It has also illustrated the concrete usage of the deixis, especially the gestural usage, symbolic usage, anaphoric usage and non-anaphoric usage.
36. This paper mainly talks about the functional variations of deixis, and attempts to analysis the reasons for their existence and their understanding from the pragmatic perspectives.
37. By researching the features of Chinese and English person deixis , we could have a clear vision on what are the references in the context.
38. Third, anti-pre-emptiveness of deixis results from such factors as lack of deictic information, psychological activities of participants in speech event and so on.
39. It mainly studies the gestural usage and symbolic usage of Chinese deictic words this and that. The statistic shows that deixis in situational context doesn't occur frequently.
40. Based on Chinese language and Chinese culture, we will analyze this kind of deixis in terms of its meaning, existence, judge, function, syntactic and so on, which is very meaningful.