denarius in English
The principal medium for the payment of these dues was the denarius or silver penny.
Use "denarius" in a sentence
1. “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius.”
2. But he said: “Show me a denarius [a Roman coin].
3. Denarius coin depicting the “Sons of Zeus,” 114-113 B.C.E.
4. Next the apostle John says: “And I heard a voice . . . say: ‘A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius.’”
5. What is the “denarius” mentioned in Jesus’ parable recorded at Matthew 20:1-16?
6. But in Jesus’ day a denarius, according to Clarke’s Commentary, was an average day’s wages.
7. They agreed to the common daily wage of the time, one denarius for a 12-hour workday.
8. But in reply to their sly question, Jesus had responded: “Show me a denarius [a Roman coin].
9. In John’s day, a quart of wheat was the daily ration for a soldier, and a denarius was the money paid for a day’s work.
10. According to Alfred Edersheim, an authority on Jewish history, “the bankers were allowed to charge a silver meah, or about one-fourth of a denar [or denarius, a laborer’s wage for a day’s work] on every half-shekel.”