overture in English
the talks were no more than an overture to a long debate
The adaptation of music for a medium different from that for which it was originally composed, for example the recasting of a song as a piano piece, or of an orchestral overture as an organ piece.
Use "overture" in a sentence
1. Overture or symphonic poem?
2. His overture led to nothing.
3. Gioacchino Rossini. The Barber Of Seville Overture.
4. Drinks were the overture to dinner.
5. That's the overture to Mozart's Don Giovanni.
6. The concert opens with Beethoven's Egmont Overture.
7. At this overture, Alice looked perplexed.
8. 6 Gioacchino Rossini. The Barber Of Seville Overture.
9. This is an overture to the Russians.
10. Usher: No, even the overture hasn't started yet.
11. One performer did a silly mime during the overture.
12. Endorse the overture by director XXX from provincial TB Institute.
13. The opera was preceded by a short overture.
14. Maggie was never one to reject a friendly overture.
15. The audience must be in their seats before the overture.
16. The audiences must be in their seats before the overture.
17. The programme opened with the overture to Wagner's Flying Dutchman.
18. However, the overture also appears to have been motivated by economic considerations.
19. The Svoboda overture seemed a minor but palpable discovery.
20. They played the overture at a fairly slow tempo.
21. Meanwhile the conductor lifted his violin bow and the orchestra attacked the overture.
22. 12 The Svoboda overture seemed a minor but palpable discovery.
23. After the overture, the orchestra stopped to tune up again.
24. Overture of Spring Festival is a very famous instrumental music.
25. A great deal of prolocutor consumingly attacked this overture at the meeting.
26. The president pledged to tackle medical - malpractice lawsuits in an overture to Republicans.
27. In the 15th symphony he quotes a passage from Rossini's "William Tell" overture.
28. The conductor deserved plaudits for substituting the Kodaly dances for an originally slated Mendelssohn overture.
29. No serious overture has been forthcoming so far to accommodate the known concerns on the paper
30. No serious overture has been forthcoming so far to accommodate the known concerns on the paper.
31. Already Nicola, ever impetuous, was outgrowing Oxford, and knocking back every overture to come her way.
32. The opening item, Berlioz's King Lear overture, one of that composer's earliest works, is not often performed.
33. Balalaikas are used in "Overture: M. Gustave H" and church organs in "Last Will and Testament".
34. And, uh, we appreciate your interest, but this overture was ill-conceived and amateurishly executed.
35. The program included a lacklustre and flaccid account of Rossini's Overture to "La gazza ladra".
36. So in the overture they put Reuben Reeves on stage doing some of Louis's tunes.
37. 2 The program included a lacklustre and flaccid account of Rossini's Overture to "La gazza ladra".
38. Neighbours will appreciate a further benefit - it does not rely on the 1812 overture or other audible deterrents.
39. As the overture plays and the curtain rises for the first act, the audience is sometimes taken aback by what they see.
40. Davis's way with the overture was beautifully supple[Sentencedict.com ], his gradual unfolding of the emotions of the work deeply moving.
41. Afterwards he told me that one or two of the younger players in the orchestra had never played the overture before.
42. The programme included the overture of "Der Schauspieldirektor" KV 486,W.A.Mozart; Symphony nr 6 in C Major, D 589, F.Schubert; Ballet suite "Pulcinella", I.Stravinsky.
43. In 1954, Shostakovich wrote the Festive Overture, opus 96; it was used as the theme music for the 1980 Summer Olympics.
44. When all the companies are arduously looking for the new gold mine, Overture created an unprecedented concept, ranking auctions, an ideal commercial mode for search engine.
45. 14 Opera is music, drama, literature, dance, theater and art as a comprehensive integration of art, usually by the Aria, Recitative, ensemble, chorus, Overture, Intermezzo , dances and other components.
46. The three books in The Wind-up Bird Chronicle are named after a Rossini overture, a piano piece by Schumann and a character in Mozart's Magic Flute respectively.
47. After a few repetitions of that insistent, one-note beep, the overture begins building off its rhythm. The busy signal became a musical theme for the entire opening number.
48. Opera is music, drama, literature, dance, theater and art as a comprehensive integration of art, usually by the Aria, Recitative, ensemble, chorus, Overture, Intermezzo , dances and other components.
49. 10 Only a whirling Dervish could dance a Mozart symphony: indeed, I have reduced two young and practised dancers to exhaustion by making them dance a Mozart overture.
50. Only a whirling Dervish could dance a Mozart symphony: indeed,[sentence dictionary] I have reduced two young and practised dancers to exhaustion by making them dance a Mozart overture.